Career Change to Information Technology: If you’re facing the decision to start over and switch to a new career in Tech. it means that you believe that you see a better future for yourself in the Industry. Before you take that plunge, read on for steps you can take to help your transition.
Thoroughly evaluate your situation
- What is your “WHY’ for a career change to IT?
- Ensure that your plan to switch careers is worth the stress and effort.
- Do lots of research on your chosen field. Does it have some aspects that you like?
Consider the logistics of a career change
How will you get from point A to point B?
- Look for in-person classes?
- Take night classes or certifications?
- How much will your current income be affected?
- Are you prepared to take a pay cut if you need to return to the entry-level?
- Do you have transferable skills that might need to just be polished?
Build a network in your field of choice
- Reach out to people who work in the field you’re interested in.
- Clean up your LinkedIn profile and connect with professionals and recruiters in your field
- Attend Meet-up group meetings
- Seek out professionals in your community and attend job fairs
- Search Job descriptions and tailor your CV for the field you are interested in
- Get people that are in that career to look at your resume and give you feedback
- Network!! Network!!
- Be prepared for Interviews
Stay focused and motivated
- Keep the big picture in mind.
- Be hungry to learn
- Reach out and introduce yourself to recruiters on LinkedIn
- Assess yourself after every interview
- Out of a hundred No(s), you just need one ‘YES’